Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Good Laugh at Myself or "Deinon"


I simply have to tell on myself for this one. It made me happy.
This morning I stopped at the coffee shop on the corner near my house. I had Elijah with me and I propped him up on a stool by the bar while I waited on "my usual" drink (large coffee with cream and a little chocolate syrup, yum!) There was this blonde chick sitting on the next stool over. I could only see her from the back and side because her long perfect hair was concealing her face and she was at an angle to me. I could still make out designer jeans and a perfect figure. Her sunglasses were lying on the bar in front of us. Movie star glasses. She thinks she is so hot. From the corner of my eye I caught her smoothing her hair and I could tell she was checking out her reflection in the mirrored wall behind the bar.
I was only partly taking all this in because I was mainly trying to keep Elijah from pulling the lids off all the pastry containers and asking him what kind of snack he wanted. There was also a talk show on. I heard a snatch of the conversation. "Moms need the internet at home but they have to..." I looked up at the TV and read something on the screen to the effect of "Bad girls: Moms attacking each other online." Evidently there is a problem with girl slander online among stay at home moms. I groaned inwardly.
Elijah and I got our treats and headed back to my van. As I buckled him into his seat and opened my door I caught myself involuntarily checking my reflection in the window. All of a sudden, I got tickled and giggled like crazy. "If I was as hot as that girl, I would check out my reflection too!" I said to no one in particular. In that moment when I caught myself looking at my reflection it all suddenly seemed so comical to me that I had been scorning my fellow sex relentlessly while I, despite my "enlightened, liberated" perspectives had quite the same streak operating somewhere in my otherwise sensible (ha!) little mind.
"Many marvels walk through the world, terrible, wonderful, but none more than humanity..."

1 comment:

"That Girl With The Chickens" said...

Oh, so you saw me in the coffee shop today. ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Beatrice and Jack Frost

Beatrice and Jack Frost
Is there something on my head?