Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Natural Ant Control



The little bitty black ants.... If you have ever had those in your home, you know they are a cursed breed! We have been having our home sprayed regularly just to keep them under control. Now that I have two babies, I am tired of having poison sprayed around. I looked up natural forms of ant control and am testing something new. I have been mopping the floor around the area where the ants come in with vinigar, every night. I am also wiping the countertops down with vinigar and sprinking cinnamon around the edges of those areas (it smells nice, too). So far, no ants. I will update in a month or so with the longer term results.
Anyone else have ant control ideas?

UPDATE: Two days with no ants. I mean NO ants, not a single little scout anywhere!

UPDATE AFTER TWO WEEKS: Ok, so I slacked off and didnt mop or wipe the cabinet with vinegar for about a week. Finally, I saw a few ants. I cleaned up all the cinnamon that I had put down, and the next day it rained (which really brings in ants at our house) and their were quite a few ants in the house after that. I took everything off the cabinet and floor around the door, where they come in, and mopped and wiped with vinegar again. This time I sprinkeld black pepper instead of cinnamon. Within a couple of hours there was not an ant to be seen. I am thinking I will just have to stay on top of "vinegar and spice" applications. Thats fine with me because it motivates me to keep things cleaner, and even with the poison, the best you can hope for is to "manage" your ants. I think I will try some dichotamous earth outside too. That stuff was awesome for Japanese beatles last summer, and Ive heard it works for ants as well.

No comments:

Beatrice and Jack Frost

Beatrice and Jack Frost
Is there something on my head?