Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Homemade Baby Food




This is Beatrice is trying her first dessert, a mix which I call "plums and greens pudding."

Beatrice is eating solids now, and I have been thrilled to find that it is very easy to make my own baby foods. She is eating better than her brother did, and when I taste her food, I think I know why. The home made food is delicious! I always finish hers if she doesn't eat it all. I am also fortunate to have lots of garden fresh produce stored in our freezer. She has had apples, butternut squash, and green beans that were locally grown last summer.

So here is what makes it so easy. I take out a bag of frozen fruit or vegetables, defrost, steam, and then blend to a creamy consistency, mixing rice milk or rice cereal if it needs it. Then I pour or spoon the puree into an ice cube tray, cover, and freeze. When it is frozen I pop it out of the tray into a freezer bag. The whole process takes about half an hour at most, and when I am done I have one to two ounce size potions that I can take from the freezer bag and microwave, so that its ready at any time. I can also get out different flavors and mix them. It tastes much better than store bought, and is way fresher and less processed, so she is getting lots more nutritional value. Yum!

No comments:

Beatrice and Jack Frost

Beatrice and Jack Frost
Is there something on my head?