Friday, January 29, 2010

The Next Right Thing

Some days you feel on top of everything, and you are tapped into your inner super hero. Other days "super hero" seems absurd. Sometimes your parenting decisions are working perfectly and you are on a roll, and other times you are doubting and wondering if you are one of the worst parents ever. I think this is perfectly normal.

Today has been the second way for me. The little ones are sick and I am sleep deprived. I havn't ran in days and the nap routine is off. I found myself in the middle of the day getting bogged down with second guessing my decisions and fretting over what I should be doing and if I was doing it ok. I am thankful that I recognized that I was feeling not quite right (listening to my feelings!) and I prayed. The Al-anon saying, "Do the next right thing" came to mind. For me today that was check on the potatoes in the oven, start some more laundry, interact with Elijah, and make us some healthy food. As I began to re-engage with my children, my home and myself, my stress and anxiety decreased and my confidence began to return.

A superhero must slow down to "lift up her eyes to the hills" and hearken.

No comments:

Beatrice and Jack Frost

Beatrice and Jack Frost
Is there something on my head?